Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Putting the Sway in Swing

I like to feel a sway in my swing. I am not sure you could make a dime giving lessons if you even used the word sway in a lesson. However, my swing is built on natural feel and for me, it feels like a sway.

What does this sway look like or how might one describe it. In my motion , the , Figure "8" Motion, I feel a distinct swaying feel. It is present in the weight shift, transition and helps with the flow of the motion and helps swing the weight in tempo.

A forward press is the best way for me to start the swing, or sway, since I like to have a connected one piece takeaway. It seems to get everything balanced and moving on on the same page and direction in the back swing. It is kinda like taking a practice swing and coming right back and into another swing without stopping.Better flow.

Now the overall sway motion happens in the anterior portion of the coronal plane. It has the appearance of shifting weight over or outside the right foot. That is not the case here. The motion actually loads the right leg from the foot to the hip and for a brief second, the entire body is balanced over the ball of the right foot in complete balance of weight, club and swing as the body transitions and the lower body leads the motion and transfer of energy.
The lag and real power is created by the lower body leading the motion while the upper body is following. Centripetal force causing centrifugal force. Simple , Natural Energy.

So, in short, the hands start the sway, or motion, and just as the club head and butt must change lead, the lower body leads the motion and hands on the down swing.

As I mentioned in the beginning, sway is taboo in golf instruction, but like it or not, it is , IMO, everywhere in Natural Motion.

I would really like to hear any thoughts or comments. All Are welcome.

Thanks,

Mark, 1lovegolf24

No comments:

Post a Comment